Canning, Hemming, and Haircuts

I’ve been all domesticy the past few days around here! I originally wanted to have a bigger garden so I could can lots of tomato products and peppers and other produce but somehow babies just take a lot of time and that did not happen this year! We did plant a garden but it was limited and I eventually quit watering it (that part wasn’t the baby’s fault… I always quit watering the garden by July).  But, despite me, I did get a lot of tomatoes and some peppers and potatoes and Joe had 4 special hot pepper plants that produced a few peppers as well.  We also had one small sad green pumpkin growing but when I went to pick it it was getting a bit squishy already so I gave it right to the chickens.  My eggplant and several pepper plants didn’t produce anything.

The recent cold weather dashed my hopes of having a lot of red, ripe tomatoes and I ended up with a few sort-of-red tomatoes and a lot of very green tomatoes to find things to do with.  One day last week James and I went out and harvested every last tomato and pepper growing out there and did some fall cleanup.  All the tomatoes ended up going into two types of salsa.  The green tomatoes went into a batch of their own green tomato salsa and then the red tomatoes joined some store tomatoes in a batch of regular salsa.



Thursday night I finished up 5 pints of green tomato salsa, and also got 5 pints of cinnamon apple sauce too.  Then Sunday I got 8 half-pints of regular salsa done.  Not too bad for a minimal garden! We do have apple trees but the apples I used were just in-season apples from the store.  I might take a look at our tiny apples and see if they could be used easily otherwise I’ll pick them for the chickens like I usually do and leave some for the deer.




Friday I switched gears and finally got out my sewing machine to hem some of James’ pants.  He is almost 11 months old and comfortably wearing 18 month clothing except for some of the pants that are too long.  He has pretty much outgrown 12 month pants, he still wears a couple pairs at home but they are too short and a bit tight and it was overdue of me to fix his bigger sizes for him to wear.  So I managed to hem 3 pairs of pants and then I started on a pair of Joe’s shorts that need new elastic.  I’m not finished with those yet and I’ve never replaced elastic so hopefully they turn out.  I’ve also got a quilt to finish (that I started over 8 year ago! and finally got out to do the last bit), I need to make James a Halloween costume, one of my jackets needs a new zipper and I might try my hand at taking in a pair of Joe’s pants but that may be beyond my current sewing abilities.

Lastly, since I was being all do-it-yourself for a few days, I made a few pizza kits to keep in the freezer for when we need food and don’t want to cook and I also gave James a little bit of a hair trim!  He doesn’t have a lot of hair yet but was working on a nice mullet and he had a few really long hairs up top that need a trim too.  I did not take a before and after like I should have but it looks alright.  I think I did a good job and then I went back to do some more and there are a few chop marks in his hair on the back… I will need some practice but cutting his hair (at least as long as he will let me) will save a lot of money!  I think I seem a nice pair of clippers and maybe a nice pair of hair scissors in my future! I may, or may not have, used my sewing scissors this first time 🙂



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s