Joe’s Trip, Outside Walks and a Visit to a Mineral Museum

We had a busy week last week! On Sunday (not the one yesterday but the one a week ago) Joe flew to Boston and then drove to New Hampshire to be a judge/official in an SAE car competition for college students.  He was there doing work until Wednesday when he flew home, getting in around 11:30 at night.  Cora and everybody else and I were all here at home of course, doing normal things. Although I did try to get Cora out for a couple of walks, they were all short because we kept running into other people and dogs and the trail was still super wet to go down there.


This is up the hill from us on a side street. Water was just draining away down the hill and Cora played in it for awhile.  I didn’t touch it, but I assume it was very cold!


These two, above and below, are shots of our backyard during the worst of the melting.  That green cap is one of the caps on our septic tank. It’s supposed to be even at ground level but a lot of the dirt eroded away so we have some fixing to do before we can replant whatever grass doesn’t come up from the seeds they put down last fall.


I also had to check the basement while Joe was gone because the day before he left he discovered the basement was flooded with about 6 inches of water.  During the septic tank construction the drain pipe from the basement accidentally got covered with dirt and wasn’t draining properly.  Joe caught it in time and dug out the pipe so all I had to do while he was gone was to make sure it was still draining and not clogged.   I’m glad I didn’t find that without him once it got into the water heater and I had no hot water all of a sudden!  The furnace thankfully (is off now but it was still going last week) is up on bricks so we would have had heat for a bit longer!


Cora napping one night in our bedroom.  She would have been cute but she has those glowing green eyes that makes her look all creepy!

Like I mentioned, Joe came home really late Wednesday night and then one of his good friends came to town Thursday because his girlfriend was graduating from Michigan Tech. on Saturday.  So Joe was out for awhile Thursday and Friday nights hanging out with him since they may not get to see each other very often now that the girlfriend will be gone and his friend won’t be traveling up here like he used to. So those two days were normal workdays for us, but especially late nights again for Joe so we were thankful for Saturday to roll around! I was off work too and we both got to sleep in really late (although Joe was nice and took Cora out around 7 for me so she didn’t have to wait etc.)

Saturday afternoon we went out for awhile and one of the places we went was the Seaman Mineral Museum.  It’s owned by Michigan Tech and was open and free for the day for any visitors because of graduation.  The museum used to be right on campus by the classroom buildings and dorms and we’ve been there before but a couple of years ago it moved to a brand new building up the hill, still near campus buildings but a bit further away.  We tried to visit a couple of months ago but discovered their winter hours didn’t work for us to go so we took advantage of Saturday and went to look at all the different rocks!


This huge piece of copper was taller than I am.  They had a huge section of copper and copper mining information since that’s what our area is known for.  I liked the lunch box and little cup they had in one of their displays.


The rest of these below are just some examples of all the kinds of stones they have at the museum.  I think we were there for at least an hour, maybe more.  Everything is labeled with names and where the stone was found.  I couldn’t tell you now off the top of my head what is what and the tags are hard to read in my photos, but a lot of them were very interesting/distinctive to look at!






These last couple (above) are easier to remember, they had a little section on fossils etc. I don’t know what animal the top fossil was but I don’t think I’d like to meet it out and about.  It had a super long neck and a snake head and it looks like it swam. Yuck. The last photo is a fossilized dinosaur egg.  They also had dinosaur poop and fossilized bones as well.

Since Saturday was so nice out, and I’ve been asking to take Cora on a longer walk for awhile, we decided to try out the trail and see how far we got.  It ended up being pretty walkable except for a little bit at the end of one section, but we just climbed up to the road and walked past it and kept on going.  On the way home we walked up a steep hill road, and then back across the hill and down our road again to the house.  Cora was filthy dirty by the end but had tons of fun walking through mud and puddles and all the draining streams and it was a good way to end our Saturday!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s