I finally picked up some rennet and Joe and I were able to find citric acid locally so I could try making mozzarella. The recipe called for a whole gallon of milk but I didn’t want to use my whole gallon of whole milk so I mad a half-batch to begin with. It seemed to work alright until I got to a stretching, kneading stage…and then it didn’t go so well for me but I’m not quite sure what I did wrong. I think next time I will try a different set of directions.
At least the cheese did work well enough that I put it on a pizza for our supper. I did combine it with a bit of store mozzarella though leftover from last time we made pizza because my cheese was a little bit tasteless and kind of rubbery. But, it tasted fine melted and cooked! Hopefully cheese number two will work better!