Tonight for supper we had zucchini chicken soup and I paid attention to where our food came from (and in the case of the chicken how it was treated… I picked the best out of the worst and got cage-free chicken at least!). Right now I’m reading a book called “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life” which describes one family’s dedication to eating only local food for one year. They had to pay attention to what they purchased (or they had to grow it themselves) and they planned ahead and worked hard to preserve food during the summer months to provide for themselves during the winter months. They also discovered just how much they could get locally and how well they could eat. My recipe tonight came roughly from their recipe although, in my normal fashion, I did do it a little bit differently.
- 1 onion, minced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large zucchini, shredded
- olive oil
- chicken stock (I used about 72 ounces)
- 3/4 pound orzo (I just dumped in the rest of the bag after we used some for another recipe)
- Oregano, thyme, salt/pepper to taste
First chop up the chicken and get it boiling in the chicken broth to cook it. While that is going saute the zucchini, garlic and onion in a bit of olive oil until it is cooked and a little golden coloured. Then added the zucchini mix into the pot with the chicken (which is mostly cooked by now) and add in the orzo. Cook for about 10 more minutes or until the orzo is done, season to taste…and you’re done! Very simple! We ate ours with toasted baguette with Queso Fresco cheese sliced on top.
When I looked at where all of our supper came from this is what I found…
- Onion – Minnesota
- Garlic – absolutely no idea!
- Cheese – Distributed from Wisconsin but I couldn’t figure out where it is made.
- Bread – Wal-Mart Bakery (which means it is most likely made in the U.S. but I know it is not made in the store)
- Chicken – USA (if you look on their website though it is more specifically Kentucky)
- Zucchini – USA (somewhere south or maybe California I’m guessing)
- Orzo – Italy
- Chicken Stock – Distributed from New Jersey but I couldn’t figure out where it is made or anything useful about it.