When I made this my goal was to make breakfast empanadas like I did here with tuna fish, except my dough got too warm when I laid it out and then I stuffed them too full, so they ended up being more like little pastry puff bites instead. It still worked and they turned out cute!
- 4 eggs (Farm fresh of course!)
- 1/2lb bacon, cut the package in half or use 6 full slices
- 1 cup Mexi-cheese
- 2 sheets puff pastry dough
- Preheat oven to about 400 degrees and get the bacon cooking in a pan
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or lightly grease it)
- Roll out the pastry dough and cut it into pieces. I cut mine into circles with the idea of making empanadas but you could cut it into squares and fold them over into little tarts too. Using circles makes a lot of waste dough, last time I rolled it back out and reused it but this time I just tossed the extra into the chicken bucket because they like dough (they like everything). If you don’t have chickens, or dogs or something else to eat extras then you might want to use squares so you waste less 🙂
- Once the bacon is finished, wipe out the pan, and scramble the eggs. While the eggs are cooking add pieces of crumbled bacon to them.
- Then put a little bit of filling and a little bit of cheese into the center of each piece of dough
- Fold the dough over like a tart or empanada or wrap the dough around the stuffing and press it together however you can. I ended up wrapping mine kind of like a package because I stuffed them too full to fold them over. They will come out fine however they get wrapped as long as the dough is pressed together and sealed.
- At this point you could wipe them with an egg wash (an egg white and a tiny bit of water mixed in) to make them come out more golden, or you could leave them alone. I didn’t use egg wash this time.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or so, I lost track of time so you’ll have to keep an eye on them, until they turn golden brown.
The way I did it, without reusing dough, made 18 little puffs. Each has approximately 128 calories, 7g carbohydrate, 5g protein, 10g fat, 194mg sodium, 4% daily iron, 3% daily vit. A, and 5% daily calcium.